Uluwatu Temple is a Hindu temple set on the cliff bank in south part of Bali Peninsula. It is one of Sad Kahyangan temple in Bali (six of big groups of temple in Bali) located in Pecatu village ,sub district of south Kuta,and Badung Regency or about 25 km southerly part of Denpasar town. It is situated on the coral reef sordid to see about 80 metters above the see level. It is featured by a small dry forest which is mostly called by Alas Kekeran (interdict forest) which is belong to the temple and dwelt by a lot of monkeys and other animal. Name of Uluwatu was come from the word Ulu meaning the Head and Watu meaning stone.therefore Uluwatu Temple in tip of corral reef.
Uluwatu Temple In Story
- In the right and left of temple building or pelinggih Ida Bagus Ratu Jurit located in complex of Uluwati Temple,there are two stone mangers that look like a boat. When both of it are united ,hence it’s look similar to sarcophagus, the famous stone from Megalithic era culture. There is archaeology omission coming from 16 countries in firm of arch or winged entrance gate. Winged entrance gate is one of the scarce archaeology omission. Winged entrance gate that is existing in Uluwatu Temple ( a period of is making) can be compared with the same one located in mosque complex in Sendangduwur village,lamongan and east java. The period of its making is relevant with the year Candrasengkala found at this inscription. Candrasengkala founded in the mosque is written by the wording Gunaning Salira Tirta Hayu meaning year 1483 Saka or 1561 Masehi.
- If the sarcophagus that existing in Dalem Jurit complex area represents the artifact,hence UluwatuTemple represents the palce sanctified since era of Megalithic culture (about 500 S.M). In papyrus of usana Bali mentioned that Mpu Kuturan ( the Hindu Priest who spread out the Hinduism in Bali ) had build a lot of temple in this island and one of them is Uluwatu Temple. In papyrus Dwijendra Tatwa has been elaborated that Mpu Kuturan had visited twice those are :
- 1. The first visit when he conducts the Tirta Yatra ( The journey to visit the holly place).His heart had jolted and heard a soul whisper that place for Ngeluwur (re of soul /dead leave without body to return to the origin/moksa). Pursuant to the consideration then he set mind to build the Perahyangan or extend building of Uluwatu Temple,he build hostel as residence and then the ex-the hostel building is used by the local as a shrine named The Gong Hill Temple (Pura Bukit Gong). The building of Perahyangan in Uluwatu Temple is done by Mpu Kuturan in the early 16 century after he lifted to be come the Purohita(priest of the king adviser). From king of Waturenggong commander in the yaer 1460-1552.
- 2. Mpu Kuturan on his second visit has reached the nature Moksa. On Tuesday of Kliwon Medangsia(Baliness Calendar),it was witnessed by a fisherman,his name Ki Pasek Nambangan,he looked the flash with very bright light step into the space called Ngeluwur.
- Implicit at papyrus Padma Bhuwana that Uluwatu Temple draw in the direction that is located in southwest functioning to worship the Rudra God,one of the god in nine god(Dewata Nawa Sanga). Rudra God is the deity Siwa as Pemralina or return to provenance. In this papyrus also mention that Uluwatu Temple is the Kahyangan world worshiped by entire Hindu people. Since this area is opened for public,it is visited by many people from all over the world because it has a beautiful panorama with spectacular sunset and stunning view of indian ocean and deep the cliff bank.